Thursday, September 02, 2010

Trapped miners

So I am finding this whole thing fascinating.  Given they are all alive at this point I'm feeling fine to feel very voyeuristic about it.  A couple of years back I went on a tour of the submarine down on SF wharf.  I think I did it with Brice....it is a WW2 submarine, so really tiny.  A lot of folk on the tour commented  how they would hate it, find it a terrible living environment and difficult to cope with.  Oddly enough I think I'd do fine.  I'm very self contained at the best of times and, honestly, think it so much easier to physically navigate little spaces.  I'm watching the miners and wondering how I would do.....then I remember Bosnia and think "well ummm.....yeah, I'd do fine".  Physically (and emotionally) that was 8 months of total constraint.  Yeah I was lucky, I could travel through the country more than most, but it wasn't exactly a Contiki Tour.  I navigated it through self containment; on one level totally participating.....on another, really not.  I think I'd be fine in the mine......but really hope I never get to put that hypothesis to the test!

No comments: