Saturday, September 04, 2010

Long weekend

It's Labour Day Weekend here, so Monday off.  One of the oddities of being here is that my body still runs to a different time clock.   Public holidays still don't land quite when I need them.....I'm ready for Easter (yeah not a holiday here), Christmas.....not quite happening, Waitangi day - yuh all not happening for my body clock that says "I need a long weekend".  These are the things nobody tells you when you immigrate!
Last night Irene, me and Lottie went for a little walk into the Castro. Irene needing to buy a gift BUT so random......I'm holding Lottie outside the shop (she attracts a lot of attention btw) I have on a NZ teeshirt, guy walks up to me and starts a whole conversation about NZ......seriously, even knew about the earthquake!  Anyway, odd dude but perfectly pleasant, although totally disheveled looking and smoking, what looked like, a very expensive cigar (I should probably add that last week when I was walking to Wicked.....same thing.....okay no cigar, different tee but same type of interaction.....go figure).
Today I took myself off to the Marin Headlands, the site of my first, and terrifying,  race. I ran the same circuit and then some.....well quite a lot of some.......6.2 miles vs 12 something.  Knarly hills and the most remarkable weather.  See the shot that I actually stopped to take, mostly because it really was amazingly beautiful and, yes RR, spooky.  The fog was "rolling" over the hills.  In a lovely twist, to get to the Headlands I drove across Golden Gate Bridge.....also cloaked in fog.....day was quite surreal on many levels.  Now that I've run 20 miles with Zoe I really get why it's nice to run with others, but I also love running alone.  What is nicest of all is that I capture the most amazing images in my head...trail or road running, there's always something that makes me pause, look at the world differently.  Oh and it still holds true, folk are so much friendlier on the trail....road runners, grumpy folk we are, self included!

No comments: