Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Last day in NZ

I fly out for San Fran at 7:30pm tonight.....it's been a great few weeks.  I've flown 8 times since I landed and have concluded Air NZ is a great, friendly airline - even if I've mostly sat down fallen asleep and woken as I've landed.
It's been great to catchup with so many people, some planned, some spontaneous and some "new" to my world.  Last year when I visited I had been more hesitant about getting out, less sure about seeing people, this year it's been totally different.  It's been fascinating to catchup on people's lives and realize how much mine has changed and what a different space I am in.  Interestingly I think everyone is hitting the same types of challenges and opportunities.  A lot of folk have hit career and personal moments focused on "what next" - recognizing that my friends (and family for that matter) are smart, go-get people who are driven to take on new and exciting challenges.  It's just not always clear what to do next but everyone is asking themselves similar questions.
I have a lockup here (it contains not much beyond the museum collection and a few personal items not sold a few years back).  I had thought it might be strange to visit (and I certainly didn't unpack anything so much as look in).  As it turned out the anticipation was far more stressful than the actual opening of the door (helped by the discovery that I have a huge credit as I'd overpaid on the rental for several months).  Everything was secure, dry and safe - not that I could have done much if it hadn't been.  I will have to think on what to do with the contents, but not today, for now I am content to know that the things are there when I am ready to decide.
I feel incredibly fortunate.  As much as I've loved visiting NZ California beckons.  I am ready to take on my new set of challenges.  In thinking about the new job I am more than awed by the possibilities but, more than that, realize that it's the share scale and scope of the US that works for me.  The idea that professionally opportunities abound and can take multiple forms.  Opportunities exist in NZ of course, but they are limited and more constrained in scope and scale.  It remains a beautiful country and having covered it very nearly from top to tail I am filled up with wonderful images.  But mostly it is the people.  I have had such warm, engaging and positive times with folk.  All of whom have reflected back lovely things to me.
It's been grand, now I have marathons to run; a new job to learn; a home to find and untold other adventures to create  - none of which detracts from how much I appreciate friends and family here and look forward to folk stopping by next time they are passing through!

No comments: