Sunday, May 30, 2010

Memorial Weekend and new toys

It's Memorial Weekend, this is similar to ANZAC day.  Because I live in the equivalent of Nelson it's also the weekend where floods of tourists arrive to play on the boardwalk and lounge on the beach.  I have become as parochial as any Santa Cruzian, I don't mind that they come share the beach etc etc but road rules still apply as does common courtesy when walking down the street....just because you are filled up on junk food (gobsmacking amounts of junk food I might add) and on holeeeday doesn't mean you can't engage your brain every now and then....or does it?  Enuf said.
I've had three workouts since arriving back......arrrrrrrrgh.  Timely reminder that the body is a temple and temples get grumpy if you neglect them.  So I am back to creating my routines, eating right, not drinking and working with acupuncture boy to get everything back in balance.  And yes, I know, it's all relative and I can still run 16 miles, but but but.
I have also succumbed to the lure of the I-Pad.  I could justify the hell out of it but really it came down to realizing that when I start traveling for work it's not realistic to take my Mac AND my work computer and I like to play on the internet in the evenings (versus watching TV).......so not a good look to be playing on the work computer - I-Pad is the perfect thing.  Also prompted by my finally contacting my telco provider about having trouble texting.....long short story, need a new phone so have had to fork out for a new Blackberry Storm - made me a little grumpy so my reward for sucking it up was the I-Pad (see how my mind works).
This week I am going to spend time sorting out work stuff.  I've really got nothing to do on a daily basis as my backfill is being as outstanding at the job as I expected.  I really do care about this team and feel very happy that they have someone who will take them to the next level and look after their interests - it was/is a bloody tough job but hugely rewarding on those days you get it right.  I am hopeful my next job proves to be the same - it will be good for me to be thrown outside my comfort zone again, as long as I don't find myself arriving at the level of my incompetence.....
Off to Marcia's for dinner this evening (town is so clogged up I'm gonna walk - 30/45mins - over rather than drive as it took Michelle a ridiculous amount of time to do what should have been a 10 min drive).  It's a lovely evening and I've had a good work out so it will be nice to have the walk as well.....smell the roses and all that!

No comments: