Monday, June 14, 2010

Baywatch or a beached whale?

Yesterday I really knew I had arrived in California when I found myself on the beach, with Case, doing an actual workout, including sprinting between cones with the weight vest on (seriously), situps, lunges and planks.....all against the backdrop of not one, but two beach front hotels -complete with guests sitting on their various balcony's no doubt wondering if I was insane!  Cowells Beach is a very lovely stretch of sand just past the boardwalk in Santa Cruz - usually inhabited by long boarders and, on a less sunny day, very quiet and pleasant to walk along.  Case is "between gyms" so I am now working out with him outside of the gym environment pending his (hopefully) getting a new job..... alternatively beach workouts will become a way of life for me.  Actually the workout itself was excellent (although has introduced me to new levels of muscle ache....if that's at all possible!) but I did have to get over feeling like a bit of a plonker.  It's one thing to work out like crazy in the gym, quite another to find yourself doing it on the beach; I'm not really that girl and Santa Cruz isn't really that town.... although Case does do this stuff with some of his other clients.  All I can say is there were no swimsuits involved, barely a tan and nothing glamourous about all that sand sticking to a sweaty body!
Off to Chicago today, yay, quite happy to sit on a plane and feel justified doing nothing....okay not true, I will do something but right at this point I am not swamped with work so enjoying a tiny slice of downtime because I know what's coming!

No comments: