Saturday, June 12, 2010

Week 1 done

It's been a grand week.....meeting lots of new people, reconnecting with some I know, leaning new things and looking forward to the challenges ahead.  Next week I am flying here for a four day Change Management and Organization Effectiveness Workshop.  The Q-Center is about 45mins outside Chicago and where we go for most of our in-house core training.  Really I've been lucky, the manager who was going had to cancel and I happened to be the free body!  Come June 21 I start my "new" job.  I've started to get some email information so can read up a bit before then.  I know the manager I will be working for as we have worked together before (and on some very tough assignments).  It's fun, new and challenging.  I am feeling very optimistic about the whole thing and hungry to learn and grow.  I need to get back into a steady routine too as the last two weeks have seen the training suffer (not entirely neglected but suffer none-the-less).
I'm meeting up with the new roomie today to look at some housing options online.  I am more sure than ever that moving up to the city is the right thing to do - it would just be so much easier to attend both work and other events....prompt me to go to the theater more and generally seek out folks more easily.  This, of course, reinforced by it having taken me 3 bloody hours to drive home yesterday.  There was an accident on the 17 that basically ground everything to a halt.  I did manage to detour and was very lucky again as not long after I'd taken the alternate (and clearly longer) route a truck jack knifed closing the road.....felt for the folk stranded as it isn't really a road you can u-turn on and even if you could 17 was still a mess.  I've got a much higher tolerance for traffic congestion these days but yesterday pushed it!
This week was also the end of an era with Ruby as it's the end of the University year and I will be gone by August....so no more Ruby midweek visits.  She's been grand company and I've enjoyed these past two years hearing about her world and life working for a University (can't say it would be my first choice....it's an odd world!).  Lyn, my rideshare also dropped off this sweet little book she made about "What I learnt commuting with a kiwi" that she made, very funny......is it so odd that a biscuit is a biscuit and you just need to know there are people biscuits, cat biscuits and dog biscuits and cookies are about computers and Seaseme Street?  How hard can it be?
Good grief it's 11am and already 30 degrees.....no running until very late this afternoon then.

No comments: