Monday, June 07, 2010

The day before the day

I am now in San Fran for the week. Drove through this afternoon and I am holed up in a less than glamourous hotel....one block from Union Square and on the edge of the Tenderloin.  Chose it because it was cheap and had a gym.....I think they use the word "gym" lightly.  Oh well, it is clean and safe so won't complain too much.
First day in the new job is tomorrow and I am a short walk away from the office.  I've reviewed all the info they have sent me and know that this week is all about learning the basic stuff; timesheets, filing, values etc etc etc.  Given the size of the company this is the basic induction 101 for new hires and also so a chance to meet some of my peers as there are a group of us all starting at the same time (although not necessarily in the same practice).  We will also get the "tools of the trade" i.e. laptop; my new best friend.  Next week I will start to learn about the actual practice I have joined (at this point I really only have the very lightest of insights into how Accenture actually does change management.....lots to learn I am thinking!).  At some point (sooner rather than later I expect) I will get my first actual job....now that's something to look forward to as I'll be back on the job work for a client, although no idea where that might be or for whom!
This evening, after I checked in, I got on BART (the commuter train) and headed over the Bay to have dinner with my pal Dee. Gotta love the public transport in this town (well as long as you are in the right areas).  So easy to cross the city and the Bay without drama or the stress of driving.  Yummy Japanese in Rockridge (reminiscent of the old days visiting Sharon in Walnut Creek).  The city is buzzing and giving me a taste of things to come when I am living her full time.

No comments: