Wednesday, July 21, 2010

From soup to nuts....and Guinness anyone?

Has anybody ever heard that before?  Four years in the US and I’ve never heard that saying before and now I hear it every other day!  Yay for Google and Wikipedia: "Soup to nuts" is an American English idiom conveying the meaning of "from beginning to end". It is derived from the description of a full course dinner, in which courses progress from soup to a dessert of nuts. It is comparable to expressions in other languages, such as the Latin phrase ab ovo usque ad mala ("from the egg to the apples"), describing the typical Roman meal.   
Soup to nuts was a stretch. The first time I heard it I went to my limited cooking brain and thought “that’s not possible is it?” and “ook” soup nuts, wtf? But not nearly as big a stretch as when I read “from the egg to the apples”.  These are the fascinating sidebars that make up my life!
Oh but here’s a little gem that’s way more tangible than “soup to nuts”……post the NYC Marathon Rose and I are going to Dublin for four days!  Okay a step back.  The trip so far……..me and Rose fly from San Fran to NY overnight on Thursday 4 Nov (well would only have been sleeping anyway so I figured an overnight flight was more than optimal, whole extra day in NYC!).  Friday go to the marathon expo and wander around nervously (me nervous, not Rose) and see some sights in NY.  Saturday more sights and even more nerves.  Sunday run run run run………wonder why I decided to do this at all……….run, run, run, wave at Rose (and the 2 million other people lining the streets, not joking, true fact), run, run, run, more waving and then cross the line…………drink beer eat bad (good) food and fall over.  Monday fly to Dublin via Heathrow – go visit Pauline and Bernice - NZ pals – Pauline on work secondment to Dublin for six months.  Good kiwi’s that we are, spotted the free accommodation and have someone with local knowledge…….off to Dublin we go!  Fly back to San Fran Friday via an overnight in London (well actually most likely at an airport hotel).  How’s that for an adventure.  Of course the Dublin leg was all Michelle’s idea and now she can’t come….we will drink her Guinness for her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh, and jealous I am! Michelle