Friday, July 02, 2010

Magic

With all that's been going on lately it's fair to say that this week I started to feel a little rundown!  Given the indulgences of the weekend I did manage to run 8.5m/13.5k on Monday, but that about did me in.  Thursday I had acupuncture and went with a list of minor complaints....one of which was a sty preparing to launch itself into the world.  In that weird way acupuncturists have, Marc was "delighted" to try a treatment that he had previously found very effective.  Simple enough, to treat the sty he put a needle in my temple....wow, I could feel it throbbing away, which is apparently what it is supposed to do.  By the end of the session my  eye lid was far less swollen and, magic, the following day far less inflamed, today, all but gone.  I have no idea how this stuff works but it does.  He has been treating the scar on my shin as well....this thing is 5in/13cm long and is now all but invisible.  He also treats my ankle, arguing that because it was damaged and has healed it is now "stronger" than the other one....could be something in it. I'm not sure, after the mess I made of it, I would have believed it could carry me 18 miles and be able to it all again the following week (not that I have yet!).  I am a total convert to this acupuncture stuff, it's gotta be better than drugs (although Marc himself isn't adverse to thinking that somedays Tylenol/Paracetamol is the answer).
It's a long weekend  here, Independence Day.....yay for long weekends.  I am driving to San Fran on Saturday with Michelle to look at an open home for a possible rental - still looking to buy but really want to move up sooner rather than later....I'm ready to go.
Michelle officially started her new job yesterday....she is now Assistant Professor in Women's Studies at University of California Los Angeles.  Woohoo, not bad for a 'lil girl from Whangarei.  Although I'm personally a little miffed at the LA location; setting aside that it sounds like the most fab, welcoming department she could have gone to....I'm not that fond of LA!  I think we are just going to have to continue the tradition and meet regularly in other places (Vegas anyone?).
Also Irene, my new roomie, just got tenure at Santa Cruz, very exciting - seems there is a lot of celebrating to be done everywhere I look.  She's also housesitting in San Fran next week so I'm going to head up Tuesday night, stay overnight and get a taste of what it is to commute SF - San Jose; it's hard to think I might actually miss driving the 17, but you never know.
And work continues to ramp up.

No comments: