Friday, July 09, 2010

Working life

I haven't really talked much about work.  Partly it's because I've joined this huge organization and I don't quite know all the rules yet, what to share and not share.  I seem to have slipped into being part of the team relatively easily (although they'd be a better judge of that!).  The job I am doing is a good first start for me.  I am doing more of the doing than I've done for a long time and the stressors are different.....my accountabilities are less on one level and expectations so much more on others.  Part of my job does involve integrating some folks from our offshore team into the Cisco team.  Currently I have two guys from India I am working with, they are here for two and a half weeks; it's hilarious and, oddly,  the shared colonial history makes for more laughter (highways not freeways).  The other day we were talking about India and some reflections I'd once read on someone's blog about their transition from working in Japan for over two years to living in India.....total contrast in styles.  One of the guys commented that, in India (they are from New Delhi) "where you want to place your foot, a hundred or a thousand people want to place their foot there too"......I thought that was just a great way to think about India. Not that I have been, but a lot about how I think about it - kind of overwhelming.  We also laughed about how, in India, a lot of people don't drive (it's a whole other nightmare) but those that do use their horns a lot.....we all agreed NY was probably the only city in the US that came close to having the same type of mentality.  For those that haven't been horns in NY are used to say hi or I wanna change lanes or wtf?, or get out of my way or or or...... seems New Delhi is the same!
As well as my daily work I have this prescribed training program I am working my way through, some of it is online some of it means I go back to St Charles.  I am trying to soak up as much as I can - it really is grand to be learning again and all the training does have a pass/fail component.....so it really is learning.  It does feel a little like a revisiting of the combination of the Diploma in Business Admin and the Masters of Diplomacy and Trade. Alongside that I am trying to figure out where I fit, what it is I could offer longer term (the other half of why I haven't shared much, I think I should have a plan....).
Alongside all of this the NY Marathon remains a priority and I am choosing to relocate to SF (not to mention look for an actual house to buy).  I am not sure why I am always driven to such big shifts all at once (one at a time would seem sufficient).  Mostly it is that I see life as a package.....tweaking has never been my thing.  As Michelle told me once "...it's not a life half lived for you is it..." - while the change she was referring to wasn't necessarily of my choosing these things take on a life of their own and as doors open it seems like I should, at the very least, stick my head out the door, sniff the air and take up the opportunities........what if it all goes right?
PS after posting this I re-read it and it occurred to me that "sniffing the air" and "taking up the opportunities"..... that's my family, that's what we do.  We all do it in different ways but complacency is never really an option, it's not in our DNA......what if it all goes right?

No comments: