Sunday, July 18, 2010

Great America theme park

This was a great day, we went on all the major thrill rides (apart from one that was having "technical difficulties").  Once you pay the entry fee all the rides are "free".  I got the tickets from Cosco (big warehouse type store that offers discounts on bulk buying), worked out to be about half what it would have cost us had we purchased them at the park!  Hard to think anyone makes money off that deal. The picture above right shows the giant merry-go-round at the entrance to the park - it's two stories and really quite impressive.
The Giant drop was my fav - you ride up to the top of this tower then they drop you, reminded me of parachuting.  Made me laugh hysterically for about 5mins, most excellent.
As well as the rides there was the usual array of fairground activities and THE biggest stuffed toys I've ever seen.
Most of the rides are set in bush making it a much more pleasant queueing experience.  Weather was lovely - not too hot but sunny.  I even managed to find something healthy for lunch (Sushi, needless to say the queue for that was very short!).
We ended the day on a water ride.  If it's not immediately obvious in the photo below, Michelle and I are soaking wet pondering the wisdom of choosing to do this particular ride late in the day when we could have done it earlier and dried off more quickly in the sun!

Couple of other shots just for the hell of it.  Michelle on the left at the entrance to the Survivor ride. The one on the right kind of self explanatory.  I haven't seen the real thing yet but do love the way Americans are prompted to produce little miniatures all over the country.
After the Park we headed back to Santa Cruz and a BBQ at Marcia's......she makes the yummiest BBQ.  Irene and her pal (Amelie) dropped over and brought a cake Amelie had given Irene to celebrate her tenure - yum.

2 comments:

RR said...

You strange child.

"The Giant drop was my fav - you ride up to the top of this tower then they drop you, reminded me of parachuting. Made me laugh hysterically for about 5mins, most excellent."

Makes me think that there are neural pathways forged in your brain that are simply ... absent in mine. (Although I am contemplating learning to paraglide ... !)

Jody said...

Well you can't be entirely surprised and I know for sure there are neural pathways in your brain that are entirely absent from mine. oooOoooo "learning" to paraglide, most excellent, lemme know how it goes (see in my mind you are already doing it!).