Saturday, February 19, 2011

Post marathon life


Been a busy week!  My body has recovered remarkably well and by day three I only had some minor twinges.  After NY and flying to Dublin my gimpy ankle blew up like a balloon….lesson learned, this time I wore a pressure bandage flying and Tuesday/Wednesday at work, seems to have worked.  I’ve also now downloaded a full on training program to prepare me for Big Sur in May.  The program should ensure that I am at or close to peak fitness (at least for me) for May 1.  Well that’s contingent on my following the plan of course but I’m not at all keen to re-run the New Orleans experience (that last six miles was tougher than it needed to be).  I took some random shots around New Orlean's, not much as the marathon was a little distracting.  One high point was the D-Day Museum.  This was really excellent I have to say.  And I learnt a couple of new things....the landing boats they used on the beach were originally designed by a NO's boatbuilder - the flat bottom being most suited to the swamps.  Also I learnt about "Rupert" - The Paradummy.  Used during WWII and on D-Day, when the allies "faked" attacking the French coast so they could land at Normandy, 100s of Ruperts were launched out of planes so the Germans would think the allies were attacking.  I'd never even heard of Rupert before, so kind of cool to see him.   
Photo above, on the left is of this amazing brunch I had at a local restaurant I found on Yelp.  It is a lump crab omelet with biscuit (read scone).  Although it looks kind of insipid it was really yum.  On the right a very typical NO's house (well in the slightly wealthier areas).  The marathon took us through quite a lot of these areas so it was lovely to actually see some of the sights along the way.
Getting back to work is full on.  I’ve had to be in the office by 7am a couple of days this last week and not leaving until after 7pm, so the day job goes on.  Presidents day this Monday, public holiday for some but not Accenture…….it seems that companies get to pick and choose which holidays they take.  It is a holiday for NetApp though so while I would like to take PTO I have to much work to do....so working but not able to bill it.....sigh.  Still better than using up my PTO.
Irene's pal Julia is here for the long weekend.  A couple of shots below from our adventures walking Lotte.....who loves to find the largest stick possible and parade around with it.



Totally obvious of course, but weather here is atrocious at the moment....sooooo much rain!










No comments: